As the weather gets colder, people tend to prepare food and beverages that provide the body with energy and warmth. One of the famous drinks in the Middle East is Sahlab. Sahlab is a perennial plant of orchids and is a decorative plant that grows in the beginning of summer.
It is spread in mountainous forest areas and is characterized by beautiful white flowers or violet tones. The flowers may have a scent spreading in the evening.
Sahlab plant grows 60 cm high. It’s skinny leaves often carry some black spots.
Sahlab has rectangular or oval tubers in light brown color from the outside and creamy yellowish inside. Tubers contain about 50% glue and gels and on protein and time materials about 30% starch, dextrin, sucrose, salts and volatile oils.
The most famous countries where the orchid plant grows Turkey and Morocco, Greece, Iran, Cyprus and Afghanistan.
Orchid syrup ( Sahlab) is made from the roots and tubers of the orchid plant.
Each plant contains two tubers: one main and one smaller sub.
The subtitle is picked in an oval or branched shape.
Wash thoroughly with water and then submerge boiled milk or boiling water for a short period of time, this is to remove the bitter taste from them and to reduce the loss of water-soluble nutrients. As well as to stop the action of enzymes in them.
Leave the tubers to dry alone or dry in the oven. Then store whole or ground.
Uses of Orchid:
Orchid is used to make a popular drink in winter or to make Turkish ice cream.
Orchid is used in traditional medicine in Iran, for example, it is used to treat fever, cough, diarrhea and digestive disorders.
In the Indian subcontinent, it is used as a sexually stimulating nutrient.
* Sahlab contains antioxidants suitable for the treatment of liver diseases.
* Sahlab strengthens sexual performance
* Sahlab calms the digestive system because it contains a substance similar to mucus have this effect.
* Used as astringent to treat diarrhea.
* Helps stop stomach bleeding caused by ulcers of the stomach, duodenum and intestines.
* Used in cases of dysentery.
* Scientific research says it benefits swindlers TB (tuberculosis)
* Helps speed their recovery and you get pulmonary tubers.
How to prepare Sahlab drink:
The methods of preparing an orchid drink vary by culture.
Here's one way:
* Four cups of liquid milk.
* Teaspoon of orchid powder.
* Three teaspoons of sugar
* Teaspoon blossom water (optional)
* Cinnamon for decoration
Mix the sugar with 3 milk and put on low heat with constant stirring.
Melt a spoon orchid in the remaining milk cup
Then add to the pot and continue stirring until the mixture intensifies and becomes homogeneous
Add blossom water to the mixture
Pour the orchid into cups, garnish with cinnamon and serve hot.
Orchid powder can be obtained from grocery stores in Arab countries. In Canada Sahlab powder can be obtained from Arab and Turkish shops.
We wish you a warm and délit full winter.